Online Meeting about the 2024 Solar Eclipse on June 23, 2022 starting at 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Develop a rough plan and timeline from now to a date after the April 8, 2024 Solar Eclipse.
Refer to Eclipse Planning References
Introduction - 3 min.; Samantha Hayes.
Influx of People - 1 min.; Jeremy Knab
People will be showing up in Western New York for the Total Solar Eclipse. Let's make it easier for residents and visitors to understand how to have a safe and fun solar eclipse.
Path of the Eclipse - 5 min.; Jeremy Knab
We will be looking at some maps about the path of the solar eclipse. LINK
Goal(s) / Outcome(s) - 5 min.
Identify some outcome(s) that we'd like to see for the solar eclipse.
Example: Tourism would like to see all accommodations booked months prior to the solar eclipse weekend.
Expectations - 5 min.
There will be Visitors for the Eclipse
The website GreatAmericanEclipse.com lists regions of North America; under the heading New England it states:
Niagara Falls will be a favored location for many and a photogenic sight for eclipse landscape photography. Other New England cities in the path are Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Burlington, and Presque Island. New York City, Boston, Washington DC, and Philadelphia are within 200 miles of the path of totality! Depending on the weather forecast, there will be a massive number of people leaving the Eastern Seaboard towards the path.
Number of Visitors & for the Eclipse
While some places in the 2017 Eclipse had less visitors than what they had estimated other some places had enormous numbers of visitors, either way it was an influx of visitors.
- Glendo, Wyoming - Pop.: 200; Est. Visitors: Not Available; Est. Actual 2017 Visitors: 70K to 90K
- Wyoming - Est. Visitors: 48K-192K; Actual 2017 Visitors: 192K???; Est. Economic Impact: >$63M (Source: 2017 Eclipse Economic Impact Study - Wyoming Office of Tourism)
- South Carolina - Est. Visitors: 547,000 to 2.1M; Actual 2017 Visitors: 1.6M; Economic Impact: $269M Source: Solar Eclipse: Economic impact in South Carolina is $269M, Greenville News (2017-09-20)
- Nashville, Tennesee - Est. Visitors: 90K; Actual 2017 Visitors: 90,000
- Ravenna, Nebraska - Est. 5-15K; Actual 2017: 8K
- Nebraska - Est. Visitors: x; Actual 2017 Visitors: ~616,000 out of state; Economic impact: $127M - Source: Economic Impact of Eclipse Clocks in at $127M, wowt.com(2017-10-17)
- Perryville, Missouri - Pop.: 8,500; Est. Visitors 20,000; Actual 2017 Visitors: >10,000
- Carbondale, Illinois - Est. Visitors: 100,000; Actual 2017 Visitors: ~50,000
Group Growth - 5 min.
Any individual interested in planning for the eclipse is welcome to participate in the group.
We are also looking for:
- astronomers / members of local astronomical association
- people in tourism-related and hospitality-related businesses
- municipal officials
- transportation officials (Local, County Dept. of Public Works, State and Federal)
- Photographers and Videographers
Review & Discuss Past Solar Eclipse Plans - 10 min.
Planning for future meeting
Emergency Management - 10 min.; Chris Baker / EMS Staff Planning for future meeting
Identify possible places for viewing the solar eclipse!
- Cultural Center
- Holiday Valley Resort
- Tops of hills throughout Catt. County
The group will be maintaining a list of places.
Possible Issues at Watch Locations
Do we have a lack of restrooms/bathrooms at a location?
A location may need Portable Toilets/Restrooms/Wash Stations (Porta Potties, Porta John).
Can you turn off automatic lights?
Bad Weather or too many clouds "clouded out". People will leave a bad weather or "clouded out" area for a clear area.
- Parks, public areas and roadsides
- Hinsdale Memorial Park
- St. Bonaventure Campus is just outside of the "Path of Totality" ... is this an issue for viewing?
- Create and From Working Groups
- View videos about a town or city on eclipse 2024
- Time of Easter and Spring Break
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 849 5062 2237
One tap mobile
+16468769923,,84950622237#,,,,*353063# US (New York)
+13126266799,,84950622237#,,,,*353063# US (Chicago)
Dial by your location
- +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
- +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
- +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
- +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
- +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
- +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
- +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdd7lTRjbP